Did you watch Bahubali the movie? It is one of the highest grosser movie-with more than 2000 Cr (INR) revenue collection. Do you know it used 4500 VFX shots-the highest ever used in Indian cinema?
According to a July 2018 report by IBEF (India Brand Equity Foundation), Animation and VFX accounted for 4.55% of Media and Entertainment industry. It is projected to grow to 5.36% in 2020. So you can see that this industry is relatively at a nascent stage in India, which is why there is a demand for more creative and efficient talent. The introduction of various new technologies have simplified the work related to animation but the ability to think and come up with new ideas and implement them lies within us.
Animation has a wide scope abroad as well owing to more demand in Media and Entertainment sector with frequent release of movies like Avengers, Matrix, Inception, etc. which push VFX to the new level. Everyone at one time or the other in their life has watched Disney Cartoons - the creation of DreamWorks. USA is considered to be the home of Animation industry. There are many institutes like California Institute of Arts, Carnegie Mellon University, School of Visual Arts New York, Rhode Island School of Design to name a few that provide Animation courses and also jobs that pay well in countries such as Canada, UK, Singapore, Australia etc.
Should you choose Animation as your Career?
Some skills needed to excel at this course include- an excellent eye for detail, good drawing/sketching skills creativity, patience, necessary software or computer skills, communication skills and ability to work with a team. So in case you have these skills, Animation Industry might just be perfect for you.
Are there any exams for getting admission in Animation colleges?
Below mentioned are some entrance exams, which mostly depend on the Institute that conducts them.
- AIEED- This entrance exam tests the creativity and design sensitivity of a student, and is conducted by the Arch College of Design & Business.
- Arena Animation Academy Entrance Exam
- DSK International Institute for Industrial Design, Animation and Gaming Entrance Exam
- Accel Animation Academy Entrance Exam
- National School of Design Animation Entrance Exam
It is advisable to check with the Institute about the necessities of an entrance exam. Preparation for these can be done by downloading the sample exam paper for these exams which is available online and one can prepare for the syllabus accordingly.
Top 10 Government Institutes for Animation Courses:
- Army Institute of Technology (AIT) Pune, India
- International Institute of Information Technology (IIT-P) Pune
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology (VNIT) Nagpur
- Indian Film and television Institute, Uttar Pradesh
- National Institute of Film and Fine Arts, Calcutta
- Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore
- University of Calicut, Kerala
- KR Narayanan National Institute of Visual Science and Arts
- Tamil Nadu Open University
- M.G.R. Government Film and Television Institute
Top 10 Private Animation Institutes/Academies:
- ST. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
- Arena Animation, Mumbai
- Arena Animation, Pune
- Zee Institute of Creative Arts, Bangalore
- Maya Academy of Advanced Cinematics, Mumbai
- Amity University, Mumbai
- F X School, Mumbai
- Picasso Animation College, Bangalore
- Mayabious Academy – school of Animation and Visual Effects
- Toonz Academy, Thiruvananthapuram
Salary you can earn in Animation sector:
In India, the initial monthly salary ranges from 10,000 – 20,000 INR, while more experience and better skills may draw up to 50,000 INR or even more in the longer run.
For more information on Animation Institutes-courses, fees, etc. click here