Ever found yourself admiring the pretty women that smiles at you as you enter a plane? Air Hostess is part of the cabin crew team (stewards, air hostess, cabin attendants) who ensure that you have a safe and comfortable flight.
Some people might even think air hostesses are lucky as their job involves travelling in a plane which is a delightful experience for most people. As delightful as it may seem, it is a risky job and one that is full of responsibility as well. There are many duties that an air hostess has to perform with utmost sincerity. Do you aspire to be one?
Should you choose Air Hostess as your career?
What are the qualities one must possess to pave their way to a successful career as an Air Hostess?
- Patience to work long hours
- Ability to work in a team
- Ability to deal/communicate with passengers
- Sincerity while performing one’s duty
- Language proficiency
- Good appearance
- Presence of mind
- Good communication skills
What are the responsibilities of an Air Hostess?
With decreasing air-fares and increasing disposable incomes, traveling by air is now accessible even to the middle class Indian population. Almost everyone has seen an air-hostess ensuring a safe flight and making everyone's experience a comfortable one. Not to forget, one envies the perks associated with it. But do we really know the huge set of responsibilities attached to the job? Let's take a closer look at some of the responsibilites of an air hostess.
An air hostess is expected to:
- Take care of the passengers’ needs, especially those with special requirements
- Make sure all the passengers have fastened the seat belt, and are ready for take-off/landing
- Show and tell the use of safety and emergency equipment
- Reassure passengers in case of turbulences during the flight
- Provide first aid to passengers if needed
- Direct passengers in case of an emergency
- Serve/sell beverages, meals, snacks
- Ensure sufficient supply of refreshment and emergency equipment on board
- Attend preflight briefings
Eligibility to become an Air Hostess:
- An educational qualification in an Air Hostess course
- Age between 17 and 26
- Height requirement: minimum of 157cm (5ft 2 inches) and weight appropriate to height
- Candidate must be physically fit, without a history of mental illness and not suffering from any major disease
- An eye sight requirement of 6/9 is necessary, some airlines may give concession
There are Certificate courses, Diploma courses and Degree courses. The Certificate courses generally last between 6 months to a year, the Diploma courses may last from between 3 months to 6 months, while the Degree courses have a duration of 3 years.
Some courses to pursue in this field:
- Aviation Management and Hospitality (Certificate)
- Air Hostess Management(Certificate)
- Aviation Customer Service(Certificate)
- Diploma in Air Hostess Training
- Diploma in Aviation and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Hospitality and Travel Management
- B.Sc. in Air Hostess Training
- B.Sc. Aviation
- Bachelor of Hospitality and Travel Management
To be eligible for any of the above listed courses, the basic requirement if 10+2. Some Institutes may even accept candidates after passing class 10. To study such a course abroad, one might need to take IELTS or TOEFL.
You may need to clear an Entrance Test before you’re hired by an Airlines for work. Such tests consists of 3 rounds.
- Written Exam
- Group Discussion
So now lets check out from where one can do such courses. We have listed out top government and private institutes.
The list is the result of an independent research and is unbiased towards any institute in particular.
Top Institutes for Air Hostess Course:
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostesses, Delhi
- Frankfinn Institute of Air Hostess Training, Mumbai
- Wings Air Hostess and Hospitality Training, Gujarat
- PTC – Aviation Academy, Bangalore
- Indira Gandhi Institute of Aeronautics, Delhi
- Universal Aviation Academy, Chennai
- Flying Zone Academy of Aviation & Hospitality
- Jet Airways Training Academy, Mumbai
Check airhostess institutes course fees, duration, eligibility and more here.
Air Hostess Salary:
As you start working and move up the ladder, you may earn between Rs.16, 000 to Rs.35, 000. As a senior Air Hostess, one might even earn up to Rs.1,00,000 per month.
As already mentioned in our earlier article about the unprecented growth of Aviation sector (read here) the future of this Industry seems bright with more and more Airlines coming up which calls for the need of more flight attendants, hence keeping a steady rate of employment in this field.
Note: The information provided above is applicable to any man aspiring to be a flight steward as well.